Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Laminitic pony

On Saturday I visited Wellington to see my son and talk hoof Boots
Here is a copy of an email from Sue. Her horse had laminitis late last year.
The Vets wanted to put it down as there was bad rotation of p3 ( coffen bone)
I talked her through trimming the pony and padding it as simple as possible.
Here is her email to me following that talk.
Hi Pete,
Thank you so much for your time on Thursday night.
I checked my trimming technique and are happy that it meets your guidelines.
On Friday I packed my mares' fore feet with cotton wool, some high density foam, a piece of drench container and wrapped the whole thing with duck tape. Yahoo I am soooo happy, literally within five minutes she was walking sound, I cant believe the difference.
Saturday morning I had a new pony, her whole demener has changed, she is smiling and happy, a 600% improvement. Her stride is long and even, she is landing heel first beautifully and there is no digital pulse, the improvement is so dramatic it bought tears to my eyes.
Sunday morning the packing had compressed completely and she was only 400% better, so I repacked and wrapped her hooves. With new packing she was back to the 600% if not more, she was trotting around her area completely sound and still no digital pulse, she certainly does not move like a sore pony any more. Thank you, thank you for your advise.
So now I wish to order some renegade boots for her (beats ducktape aye).
I think I may need to put some extra padding in the boots initially until her feet have completely healed and I am guessing that wont be a problem!!
Can you supply a pair of pads to do the job?
I was unable to get digital photos but have measured her freshly trimmed hoof and at the widest point she is 118mm or 4 5/8 inches.

Well on Saturday I just could not believe the difference.
After a quick trim I re fitted her Rennies and here is a pic of them.
Awesome.

Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of the hoofs without the boots but you will have to believe me when I say they are awesome.
Sue has done a great job here.

Location:Wellington

No comments: